So you’ve been trail running for a while, building up valuable calve strength and endurance and now it’s time for your first long run. By long run, I mean 30km and longer… 5 hours on the legs… in the wilderness… type of long run.
Here are some essentials that will come in handy on that long run!
- Map. If you decide to explore a new route or just to go further, bring a map. There is nothing worse than getting lost on trails especially if you’ve got jelly legs, no water, sunburn and you’re hungry!
- Identification. On longer runs you’ll probably be exploring remote trails and areas. Accidents happen, so if you fall or pass out..make sure you have proper identification on you..
- Cellphone. Again if you’re lost or not feeling great and in need of assistance, you can phone for help.. that’s if there is a signal..
- Extra socks. Going through rivers and puddles you’re sure to have soggy socks and we all know that it leads to blisters. Bring extra socks!
- Emergency kit. Trust me these come in very handy. Stock them with plasters, scissors, mercurochrome, pain killers and a emergency blanket.
- Bandana / BUFF. A bandana or BUFF is great for wiping those scrapes from potential falls. Also handy for cooling off at a stream.
- Toilet paper. Personal preference… but handy!
- Food. Running burns calories which need to be replaced!
- Hydration. Bring water and energy drinks. Carry at least 2L of water and extra energy drinks on long routes and use them wisely.
- Sunscreen. This is Africa and the sun is potent, you’re going to beed sunscreen.